Sensor System for Sulfamethoxazole Detection Based on Molecularly Imprinted Polymer Membranes
Background. Development of sensor systems based on synthetic mimics of biological molecules will provide new effective express-methods for detection of small organic molecules, including pharmaceuticals, for modern analytical biotechnology.
Objective. An analytical system for highly selective and sensitive detection of sulfamethoxazole based on molecularly imprinted polymer (MIP) membranes is proposed, synthesized using the method of in situ polymerization in a combination with the method of computational modeling.
Methods. Sulfamethoxazole molecules, that were selectively adsorbed by the synthetic binding sites in MIP membranes structure, were visualized due to their ability to form brown-colored complexes after reaction with potassium ferricyanide and sodium nitroprusside in alkaline media.
Results. The limit for sulfamethoxazole detection comprised 2 mM, while the linear dynamic range – 2–15 mM, which allows one to detect sulfamethoxazole in pharmaceutical preparations. Stability of the developed MIP-based sensor systems was estimated as at least 6 months, which significantly increases stability of analogous devices based on natural receptors.
Conclusions. Applicability of the developed sensor systems for the analysis of sulfamethoxazole in both model solutions and real samples (commercial pharmaceutical preparations) was proven. The developed systems are characterized with high selectivity, sensitivity, small size and low cost.
Full Text:PDF (Українська)
M. Trojanowicz, “Enantioselective electrochemical sensors and biosensors: A mini-review”, Electrochem. Commun., vol. 38, pp. 47–52, 2014.
J.C. Vidal et al., “Electrochemical affinity biosensors for detection of mycotoxins: A review”, Biosens. Bioelectron., vol. 49, pp. 146–158, 2013.
G. Díaz-Díaz et al., “New materials for analytical biomimetic assays based on affinity and catalytic receptors prepared by molecular imprinting”, Trends Analyt. Chem., vol. 33, pp. 68–80, 2012.
M. Ulbricht, “Membrane separations using molecularly imprinted polymers”, J. Chromatogr. B, vol. 804, no. 1, pp. 113–125, 2004.
T.A. Sergeyeva et al., “Conductimetric sensor for atrazine detection based on molecularly imprinted polymer membranes”, Analyst, vol. 124, pp. 331–334, 1999.
T.A. Sergeyeva et al., “Towards development of colorimetric test-systems for phenols detection based on computationally-designed molecularly imprinted polymer membranes”, Mater. Sci. Eng. C, vol. 30, pp. 431–436, 2010.
D.H. Shewiyo et al., “Validation of thin layer chromatographic methods”, in Instrumental Thin-Layer Chromatography. Elsevier, 2015, pp. 351–373.
B.C. Rudy and B.Z. Senkowski, “Sulfamethoxazole”, Analytical Profiles of Drug Substances, vol. 2, pp. 467–486, 1973.
GOST Style Citations
- Trojanowicz M. Enantioselective electrochemical sensors and biosensors: A mini-review // Electrochem. Commun. – 2014. – 38. – P. 47–52.
- Electrochemical affinity biosensors for detection of mycotoxins: A review / J.C. Vidal, L. Bonel, A. Ezquerra et al. // Biosens. Bioelectron. – 2013. – 49. – P. 146–158.
- New materials for analytical biomimetic assays based on affinity and catalytic receptors prepared by molecular imprinting / G. Díaz-Díaz, D. Antuña-Jiménez, M.C. Blanco-López et al. // Trends Analyt. Chem. – 2012. – 33. – P. 68–80.
- Ulbricht M. Membrane separations using molecularly imprinted polymers // J. Chromatogr. B. – 2004. – 804, № 1. – Р. 113–125.
- Conductimetric sensor for atrazine detection based on molecularly imprinted polymer membranes / T.A. Sergeyeva, S.A. Piletsky, O.O. Brovko et al. // Analyst. – 1999. – 124. – Р. 331–334.
- Towards development of colorimetric test-systems for phenols detection based on computationally-designed molecularly imprinted polymer membranes / T.A. Sergeyeva, L.A. Gorbach, O.A. Slinchenko et al. // Mater. Sci. Eng. C. – 2010. – 30. – Р. 431–436.
- Shewiyo D.H., Dejaegher B., Vander Heyden Y. Validation of thin layer chromatographic methods // Instrumental Thin-Layer Chromatography. – Elsevier, 2015. – Р. 351–373.
- Rudy B.C., Senkowski B.Z. Sulfamethoxazole // Analytical Profiles of Drug Substances. – 1973. – 2. – Р. 467–486.
Copyright (c) 2017 NTUU KPI